In this post you will learn how you can root redmi Y1 without using your computer and also using your computer to install TWRP recovery and then do it using supersu to manage root permissions.
The first method we will use here is flashing a root enable zip file that will eventually root your redmi why one smartphone as well as installing a root permission app you can select supersu or even can install magisk Manager which is more useful and safer. It lets you hide root trace for specific applications, such as Google tez app (as if your phone is rooted the app won’t work) but thanks to magisk hide feature that will manipulate the apps thinking your phone isn’t rooted.
1. Redmi Y1 boot enable zip. (One click root apps such as kingroot will fail to root).
2. (Optional) SuperSu zip or Magisk module.
Follow these steps to root Redmi Y1/Lite
- Download the root enable zip file from the above link and save it in root directory of your phones internal storage.
- Open the Updater app from the tools folder.
- Click on three does vertical dot icon which is at right top side of the updater app.
- Select choose update package.
- Navigate to the RedmiY1_root_enable.zip and tap to select it.
- Your phone will now flash the zip file using the built-in mi recovery.
- The phone will be rebooted during the process when successful you’ll see the SuperSu application installed on your phone. Your redmi Y1 is rooted now.
1. Flashing file gives error.
A: flash the correct zip file. If problem reinstates, root your redmi y1 using the computer (with Twrp and supersu).
Root redmi Y1/Lite using Twrp (Computer)
This method also requires an unlocked bootloader to check whether your phone has a unlocked bootloader follow these steps.
Checking if your bootloader is locked?
Press the volume down + power button to put your phone into fastboot mode. Then connect it to your computer using USB cable.
Now grab and extract the fastboot tools (or use the 15 second fastboot installer) and run it and type this command.
oem fastboot unlock
If this gives an error it means that your bootloader is locked and cannot be unlocked by giving a command.
So what you have to do is now apply at unlock.miui.com you have to submit your phone number and a message like you why you want to unlock your bootloader please note that use the same MI account that is added on your phone and if you have not added a Mi account on your phone do it now you will get a SMS confirmation for unlocking permission now you can download the MI unlock tool and connect your phone with USB cable while in fastboot mode and click on proceed button to unlock bootloader.
Sometimes the process stuck at 50% that reason behind is that it requires a full day before you can unlock your bootloader after getting unlocking permission.
But most of the time it will unlock your phone bootloader easily in no time, after you have unlocked your phone follow the next steps.
Now we are going to flash TWRP recovery in order to flash a Zip file of supersu root manager or magisk module.
Download the Twrp Recovery for Redmi Y1 from here. It should be in (.img) file format and save it to the fastboot folder